13 February 2013

Intro

I have postponed the writing for some time already, because of not knowing, where exactly to start. But still, unwilling to let the idea go, I just set it off. Well, Seville! I could as well say, love. That's it, I should admit I love Seville. Though, I have no intention to stay here forever, it's not a fling. I am actually nordic, almost as nordic as one can be, but I have always had this enjoying-the-life spirit typical to Andalusia, and been tempered and restless like a gypsy.

I have followed my likes and tastes composing the posts. Everything you have here on this blog of mine bases on my personal experiences and knowledge, hence, on my interpretations as a result of dealings with Andalusian people. And, what I haven't lived I have read about. But you can still see my very own touch in the selection of books used and articles referred, as much as in the examples chosen and issues discussed. My blog is meant to be about peoples and neighbourhoods of Seville, not viewed from wholly random angles, but with an emphasis on cultural symbols and values, and with just some erratic digressions into geography, climate and other apparently irrelevant illustrative matters of Andalusia in general. Therefore, I will be posting about Guadalquivir, cities of the South, Andalusian dialect, religious imagery, Semana Santa, Feria de Abril and other traditional celebrations, private and public domains of life (casa and calle), folk songs and flamenco (i.e. genre of gypsy origin), poetry and literature, architecture and monuments, bulls, ham and wine, and more.

So, why am I so attracted to Sevillians? Is it because they are described as feeling at total ease about all the things around here? Negative. Although, the fact that calendar has more importance than a watch telling time, is adorable in itself. But, as I already said, that's not really it. It's because what the people do is of more importance than what they are here. Almost every act of sociality is considered a rite in Seville. Sociality is natural, not pathological. Moreover, it's considered to be a behavioural strategy that reduces social risks. This is for what I can't help but love and respect them.

Social and cultural anthropology is something I have become passionate about over the years, which explains why you will see me writing a lot about customs and folklore. I want to share as much information as I can about Sevillians and Andalusians with the ones who don't read Spanish, but want to know more about history and culture of Southern Spain or Southern Europe generally, and with those who are interested just in notions of the same for planning an informed trip to Seville.

No comments:

Post a Comment