3 July 2013

Andalusian Rap. Jerez de la Frontera's case

I just happened to see a YouTube videoclip I want to share with you produced by AV Films in 2013 on street art by Andalucía Vandals, a hip hop crew from Jerez de la Frontera (Cádiz) known for graffiti (since 1996) and rap music (since 2003), and very likely for turntablism and breaking too, although I can't tell. At street art every single one of them - take Caos, Sel or Cosa.V - is very good, a real master (una verdadera máquina). Their Sister Mary (Sor María), Mariano Rajoy and Iñaki Undargarin are exquisite. I'm deeply impressed!

The Spanish Dead, a socio-critical documentary on the making-off graffity:


Regardless, I can't say I'm exactly an admirer of their music. For me, it's so-so. They absolutely have some striking lines and their latest work is visually attractive, but their musical expression is no great shakes (like in case of Seguimos dándole and What you say, for example).

Joint projects between Andalucía Vandals and Eterno:


Collaboration with Roe Delgado (from Barcelona):


Now, Eterno with Roe Delgado, isn't that something? I simply love the unofficial studio version!


Then, there is LCMB (Los Cabrones Más Buscados, The Most Wanted Bastards). These guys rap just fine in live performances (see this), but I don't really get quite the same feeling listening to their recordings. It may be because of preferring motion pictures to the plain audio files any time.

This is how LCMB sounds like:


There are, of course, many more groups, but not much to talk about. No offence, though. I have listened to the music of many raperos jerezanos, but I must admit, I'm more into flamenco, wine and its distillates from Jerez de la Frontera, one of the pearls of the Southern Andalusia. In spite of this, I give you, with the following, an example of the work of one newer doer.

The so far best try by Yandrak:


But, you know, there's an artist I sort of like, Big Pancho, who already appeared in one of the previous videos. His Veremos and La misa as well as a couple of live performances (e.g. with Andalucía Vandals and a female vocal) sound somewhat interesting.

Anyway, here he is, Big Pancho:

No comments:

Post a Comment