9 February 2014

Feeling fuelled by the Fuel Fandango

Last night I happened to watch a YouTube video of Alejandro Acosta remixing a song by Los Aslandticos:

I literally almost peed my pants of laughter. Anyway, this is how I discovered Fuel Fandango and I'm astonished to say the least. What in the world makes me say that? There seems to be nothing special about them at all, nothing remarkable, right? But there is, and I prove you wrong. Fuel Fandango is a Spanish duo formed by a Cordovan singer Nita and a DJ/producer from Lanzarote, Alejandro Acosta. They two met in 2008 in Córdoba and have so far been creatively active there. Yet surprisingly, the music they make is nothing like what you might expect to hear. First, check out this subtitled video clip on their feelings about “their town”:


Now, you must see them to appreciate the influence their work has on me:


For me it's very rare to experience that kind of phenomenon, namely, to see a brown-eyed dark-haired fan-waving unmistakably Spanish couple and, at the same time, to listen to their music produced in Andalusia that has no flamenco touch to it. Fuel Fandango is one of these few bands that despite their not working in isolation from overly intense and invasive cultural influences they have managed to be unique. I can only imagine what it takes to be so refreshingly, excitingly, successfully different. They say it's not easy. They no doubt enjoy doing what it is they do and love doing, although they get that they are „probably different“ saying: but actually it's difficult to be here, probably different. Hear them out:

No comments:

Post a Comment